Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Cooking Monster.

It's kind of surprising that I love to cook as much as I do.  As a child, I was notoriously picky - living on a diet of butter sandwiches, pieces of cheese and apples.  When I met The Texan, he made it very clear that he liked to eat.  And he really liked to eat his mom's food - homemade dumplings with chicken, something called peekless casserole (a staple in our house now), fruit pies with homemade crusts, the list goes on and on.  All things that every good Texan growing up in the 70's eats.  And very big shoes to fill.

So I decided I needed to learn to cook.  And like most things I do, I was going to do it right or not at all.  Thus began my love of cookbooks.  Here are a few of my faves...


Mark Bittman.  What every home cook aspires to.   A food journalist slash food lover, he parlayed his talents into a very successful cookbook career.  This was probably my first real cookbook and it really does deliver on its promise.  I consistently refer to it for internal cooking temperatures, basic baking recipes and a few weeks ago, to satisfy a craving for banana pudding. 


I received The Pioneer Woman cookbook for Christmas from my sister-in-law who is a loyal reader of her blog.  I have made a few things from the book and they are all delicious, especially her enchiladas.  Really great simple stick to your ribs kind of food.  My major complaint about this book is that I am constantly adjusting recipes to accomodate my small family.  Cinnamon Rolls for 50?  Really?



Ahhhhhh!  There seriously should be angels singing as I type this.  I am not embarassed to say that I own every.single.one of Ina Garten's cookbook, but this is my fave.  Chicken Piccata, Chicken with Goat Cheese & Basil, Mexican Chicken Soup, Garlic and Herb Tomatoes, Herb Roasted Onions, Mustard Roasted Potatoes - these are pretty much in heavy rotation in my household.  Yep, we eat pretty well around here. 

The next few I want to get my oven mitts on are The New York Times Essential Cookbook (just won the James Beard award this week) and anything Donna Hay.

Do you have any favorite cookbooks?

1 comment:

  1. Jamie Oliver's cook book is awesome! And the pictures and illustrations are lovely as well :)

    ReplyDelete