Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Crock Pot Cooking.

We are all well aware of my obsession with the Barefoot Contessa.  But sometimes you just need something a little simpler, using pantry ingredients and requiring very little effort.

Enter Crock Pot Chicken Tacos.  The original recipe idea came from good friend Carrie, who is the mastermind behind Deliciously Balanced Living - she's basically a health coach - teaching you how to achieve the healthiest you whether that's through diet, exercise, lifestyle changes, etc. 

I tweaked it a little and have not been able to stop eating it!  (Another friend pointed out that her family calls these Crack Tacos.) So delicious in tortillas for lunch, dinner (and even a little afternoon snack.)

3 chicken breasts, seasoned with salt and pepper
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 can diced tomatoes
2 green peppers, sliced
1 onion, sliced
1 cup of salsa

Cook in crock pot on low for 6 hours and then shred chicken.  

I served these with rice, flour tortillas and all the taco fixins.  I also think you could probably sub in Rotel for the diced tomatoes for even more zing, but Carrie would probably point out the amount of sodium that adds to an otherwise healthy dish. Let's not tell her.

I will admit I ate 3 tacos the first night (The Texan ate 2) and we have plenty of leftovers.  So, my best guess is that it probably makes enough for 8.

So simple and tasty.  Perfect on this cold snowy day we are having.

1 comment:

  1. I need some healthy, balanced meals...thanks

    enjoy your weekend!!

    ReplyDelete